Friday, December 9, 2011

Vienna and Prague



For the travel weekend in November Allie and I decided to go to Vienna and Prague.  I had some good friends, Naomi Romriell and Shelly Faber, in Vienna doing a study abroad with BYU, so they both showed us all around.  Naomi picked us up at the airport --- which was a huge relief because neither Allie or I speak German besides "das ist das, was sie sagte" (Allie taught me this) and "Danke". Neither of those phrases would get us very far.  We met up with some of their friends in the program and other university students they met through institute to get ice cream (it's tradition).  I had so much fun and was so glad to see Naomi and Shelly.  I live a charmed life.  

Viennese ice cream shop.

 The horse show. Pictures weren't allowed so… we snuck them.


 Stephan's Dom - A gothic cathedral we visited at the center of town.








Karlskirche- they had scaffolding to go all the way up to the top of the dome - it seemed too temporary to trust, but we made it to the top and touched the Fresco. :)

 Vapiano's - An Italian restaurant Naomi and Shelly took us to.  
 Naomi and I are both majoring in chemistry --- I don't know what I'd do without her. 
 The oldest ferris wheel in the world in Prater Park --- Riesenrad built in 1897. 

 Allie and I spent the last day in Vienna at Schönbrunn Palace - the 2nd biggest palace in Europe (following Versailles).  It's name means beautiful fountain and made in the Rococo style = one of my favorite styles.  (Allie and I obviously stopped at Starbucks for breakfast).  

 Welcome to Prague!  We spent a beautiful 4 plus hours on the bus to Prague.  Luckily we had wifi, so I looked up the top things to do while in Prague.  The top twenty included trying their brown beer, getting married, jumping off the bridge into the river, clubbing, and gambling.  I did a total of zero of those things.  But I did find a few brides, so that's good I guess.

 Allie and I on Charles Bridge.


 We found these at a Christmas market by the astronomical clock tower built in 1410.  

Prague was so so so cold.  And flying with Easyjet makes it hard, because you can only bring a backpack, so I didn't bring my peacoat= worst decision ever.  I piled on the layers, and I still wasn't warm enough…But somehow I managed to fit all my gifts into my backpack - it was a Christmas Miracle! 



1 comment:

  1. Ah. you are so beautiful and it looks like you had a blast. Can't wait to see you in person.

    ReplyDelete